December 13, 2009

Halibut Stuffed Potatoes

I have been very bad about dinner-making lately. I've been pretty busy and stressed out with the upcoming concert, so we've been doing a lot of eating out and scavenging. Fortunately though, the Husband knows that cooking is one of my de-stress mechanisms, and today he urged me to actually take the time to cook. Reluctantly, I pulled some halibut out of the freezer and set to work.

Boy, am I happy I did!

This little experiment was a resounding success. My husband is well known for being an incredibly slow eater, but tonight he had devoured his entire plate before I was even halfway through with mine! Apart from that, this recipe is endlessly customizable, allowing for infinite variations. You'll never get bored! Plus, it's a great way to use up leftover fish.

Ingredients

2 baked potatoes
1/3 lb halibut or other white fish
2 T butter
2 T milk
salt and pepper
garlic and wine seasoning
cayenne
1/4 c shredded cheddar and provolone cheeses

Wrap the fish in tinfoil and cook at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until it flakes easily with a fork. Flake the fish and set aside, leaving the oven on.

Take the baked potatoes and slice a small bit off of the top lengthwise. Scoop the "guts" into a small bowl. Add the butter, milk, salt and pepper and mash together.

Here's where the variety comes in. The next ingredients can be traded out for just about anything in the book - whatever you think will taste good. For example, instead of the following one of my potatoes had BBQ sauce. But anyway... Add the cheese and garlic seasoning to the mashed potatoes.

Stir the flaked fish into the potatoes, then spoon the mixture back into the potato shells. Top with a sprinkling of cayenne and bake until warmed through.

No comments:

Post a Comment