June 30, 2011

Solar-Powered Tea

Okay, so this is a little lame, but I've also been on the road for a month straight and only just got a kitchen back. Anyway, the HH6 challenge this month was to prepare a dish using a technique you've never used before.  Needless to say, my kitchen isn't yet functioning, so I needed something easy.  As it happened, this PCS took us to somewhere quite warm, so the idea popped into my head "How about using the sun to cook?"

I thought about trying to fry an egg on my balcony, but we're east-facing, not west, and I still haven't been to the commissary yet.  What I do have a lot of, though, is tea.  So, why not iced tea?  Perfect, especially given that I got very dehydrated my first day here and have been forcing myself to chug lots of water (I really don't like drinking water).

At my visit to Stash tea a few weeks ago, I picked up a box of raspberry orange iced tea mix (Of course, you don't need to use a tea made specifically for iced tea - any tea will do!  You do want to use about three times as much tea as you would for plain water though.).  I tossed my teabag into my brand new .99c pitcher, filled it up with water, set it on the balcony, and continued cleaning the new apartment.

A few hours later I came back and pulled the tea back inside.  I then added some ice and pureed peach, and started drinking!  Delicious!

1 comment: