April 12, 2009

Chicken Marsala

This one's for my husband!
Not your traditional Easter dinner, but with only the cat and me here, tradition is out the window. Typically I serve this dish with rice, but I couldn't completely abandon the mashed potatoes on Easter, so you get two recipes for the price of one today!

Chicken Marsala
Ingredients

2 chicken breasts, pounded flat
1/4 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/2 t oregano
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c butter
1/2 c marsala wine*
1/4 c cream sherry

Mix flour, salt, pepper, and oregano. Meanwhile, bring the oil and butter to a boil in a skillet. Dredge the chicken in the flour mix, then brown in the oil 2 minutes on each side. Carefully add the wine and sherry. Cover and simmer 5 minutes on each side.

*the marsala you chose will make or break this recipe. Don't buy the cheapest thing out there!

Mashed Potatoes

Mashed potatoes are my favorite. They are one food that I will not compromise on - you won't find me sneaking veggies into them, or worrying about how healthy they are. That said, mine are not the most unhealthy out there either! For me, the ultimate mashed potatoes are smooth and fluffy. None of those chunks!

Peel and cube baking potatoes. Boil until soft and strain. Place butter or margarine into a bowl - I usually use about 1/4 c for every three or four potatoes. Now, here's the trick: press the cooked cubes of potato through a potato ricer, into the bowl. Add some salt and pepper and a dash of skim milk into the bowl, then quickly blend with a whisk. Don't use a hand mixer, and don't overwork the potatoes. This should only take a few seconds, and you will have perfect potatoes every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment