October 28, 2009

Pumpkin Gingerbread

I love pumpkin. But, for some reason, pumpkin just causes problems in this house. I had to throw away half a can after the Husband put it in the fridge... open. Then, after I'd mixed up this little treat tonight, I turned around to find my cat with his head stuffed into the can, slurping away merrily.

I guess loving pumpkin runs in the family.

This was the result of an urgent baking need that arose this evening. At first I thought about making molasses cookies, but I didn't have the time to let the batter chill. So I went to one of my favorite desserts, with a seasonal twist. I have to tell you, I can't stop eating this stuff. I've promised some to several people, but I don't know that it will last long enough for me to give it away!

Ingredients

2 c flour
1/3 c sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1 1/2 t ginger
1/2 t chai spice blend

1/2 c melted butter
1/2 c molasses
3/4 c pumpkin
1 egg
1/2 c sour milk (1 t lemon juice, enough milk to make 1/2 c)

In a small bowl, blend together the dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients in a large bowl. Slowly beat the dry ingredients into wet. If the batter is too thick, loosen with a few tablespoons of hot water.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment