March 17, 2010

Blackened Mahi-mahi Lettuce Wraps with Mango-Peach Salsa


It's been quiet on the cooking front, but that's because I've spent the past week or so on vacation, visiting The Husband in Guam. Never fear, though! I did not spend my entire time lying on the beach sipping umbrella drinks. I actually did some cooking! I wasn't planning to at first, but The Husband has a full kitchen and I realized that there was actually fresh fruit available, not to mention freshly caught fish... yeah, I got the bug. We picked up the mahi from the fishermen's co-op, then grabbed some fresh fruit and other produce and I began to mess around. I'm very pleased at how this came out - deliciously light and fresh, a perfect dinner for a hot day.

Ingredients

1 mahi-mahi fillet, approximately 7 oz
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 mango, cubed
1 peach, coarsely chopped
1/4 red onion, diced
1 small jalapeno, minced
1 head iceberg lettuce
dry white wine
salt
pepper
seasoning salt
olive oil

Preheat oven to 350. Remove any bones from the fish fillet. Rub both sides with salt, pepper and seasoning salt. Heat 1 T olive oil in a skillet. Sear the mahi in the skillet, approximately 45 seconds on each side. Transfer to a tinfoil pouch and cover with a few tablespoons of wine. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Meanwhile, combine the bell pepper, mango, peach, onion and jalapeno in a bowl. De-glaze the skillet with a few tablespoons of wine and pour over the salsa, stirring well.

When the fish is done, cut it into bite-sized pieces and gently mix it into the salsa. Spoon onto lettuce leaves, using the leaf like a tortilla. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment