April 23, 2010

Stuffed Peppers

I love stuffed peppers because it's a great way to get some veggies in and it's never the same twice - at least, the way I make it!  A little of this, a little of that, and tadaa!

To begin, select your pepper.  Red ones are sweeter than green ones, but up here I mostly just take whichever ones look less nasty.  We don't get good fresh veggies at the commissary!  Wash and remove the guts, then set aside.

Preheat the oven to about 350.

If you want a carnivorous pepper, the next step is to brown off your meat.  I used ground beef for this, but anything would work.  Once the meat is cooked, add in some aromatics.  This time I used onions and garlic.  I almost threw some basil in, but forgot about it.  Dice up some veggies and toss them in as well (I used zucchini and yellow squash).  Let the veggies cook a bit, then get the pot simmering with a big of liquid.  You don't need much - a bit of red sauce, or some canned diced tomatoes (habenero for a kick!).  Simmer to reduce a bit, then spoon the mix into the peppers and bake about 30 minutes, or until the flesh of the pepper is tender.

You can add a starch to this as well, rice or quinoa or whatever your favorite is.  I found that this time around I didn't need any, since I had the meat and tons of veggies.  If I was going vegetarian, I'd probably sub some quinoa for the beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment