November 7, 2010

Smoked Tomato Soup

I used to think that I hated tomato soup.  Whenever we had tomato soup for soup night as a kid, I would make my mom make me a small pot of chicken and noodle.  Everyone else could eat that icky tomato stuff, but not me!

Then I had a revelation at Campobello.  I do not hate tomato soup.  I hate Campbells tomato soup!  REAL tomato soup is actually quite good.  Since it is quite good, I must try to make it better.  How does one make something better?  One smokes it on the Traeger.


Ingredients

1 lb tomatoes
1 dozen grape tomatoes
4 garlic cloves
1/2 onion
crushed red pepper
1 pint chicken stock
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
4 T gorgonzola crumbles
heavy cream

First, slice and core the tomatoes.  Place them in a pan with the garlic and onion.  Sprinkle with red pepper and smoke until tender.  Remove tomato skins.

Place vegetables in a pot with the stock, bay leaf, and salt and pepper.  Simmer 30 minutes, then carefully puree.  Stir in the gorgonzola and put the whole pot on the smoker for 1-2 hours until thickened.  Remove and stir in heavy cream to taste.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment